What kind of work do we fund?
We fund events, projects or campaigns designed to advance environmental justice. We also consider applications for organisational-strengthening initiatives. We understand that sometimes it is not possible to predict things in advance, and can therefore provide emergency grants to support responses to urgent and unforeseen crisis. We have a broad understanding of ‘environmental justice’ and might consider any of the following focus areas:
- Access to environmental information
- Air pollution
- Alternative sustainable livelihoods
- Community participation in decision-making around natural resources
- Energy justice
- Environmental health
- Food sovereignty
- Promotion of indigenous knowledge
If you think your work falls outside of these issues but is still about environmental justice and environmental problems in the community, feel free to apply, we are generally fairly flexible. We can also fund initiatives designed to strengthen community-based organisations and community networks who are working on environmental justice.
If you need support to deal with an extremely urgent crisis, you can apply for an emergency grant at any time (you do not need to wait for a call for applications). We will consider an application for an emergency grant from an individual (as an exception to the rule that you must be an organisation or network to be eligible to apply) if you need help because you are being threatened as a result of your activism. You can apply for an emergency grant by sending a WhatsApp to 078 291 0014 (Vuyo). We try to respond to applications for emergency grants within 48 hours.
Who can apply?
To be eligible you must be:
- A group or network (not an individual)
- Based in, and part of, the community you serve
- Working on environmental justice issues
- In South Africa
How to apply?
There are two different ways that you can apply for a grant:
- You can fill out the application form below: OR
- You can download the English, isiZulu, Afrikaans, Sepedi and Sesotho application forms and email the completed form to or send WhatsApp photos of the completed form to 078 291 0014 (Vuyo).
If you need assistance with an application you can get in touch with our Activist Support Coordinator on 078 291 0014 (Vuyo) who can help you fill out the form.
When can you apply?
Applications are closed.
What size are our grants?
Usually between R50 000 and R100 000.
What is the duration of our grants?
Usually between six months and one year.
Where do we operate?
In South Africa